Stiffness and discomfort while ealking, had total knee replacement surgery, range of motion good.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had total knee replacement almost 4 months ago. My range of motion is very good and I am able to do all the exercises given me in PT, including stairs. My dilema is stiffness and discomfort while walking. Also, if I should stand in one place for more than a couple of minutes, I stiffen up so much I have to flex my knee before I can walk. If I stay in one position for too long, I must do the same thing. I am stiff from the moment I wake until I go to bed at night. My surgeon assures me all is well with the replaclement and my physical therapist is very pleased with my progress. Still, I cannot shake the stiffness.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
knee stiffness after the surgery is a common problem. It is good that you have regained a good range of movement with the help of your physical therapist.
If you had very stiff knees prior to the surgery then post surgically also the stiffness persists. Excessive scar formation and slight difference in knee alignment may also cause this stiffness.
Aggressive physical therapy is the only way to shake off the stiffness. Your doctor can examine you for excessive scar formation and other possible causes and can recommend you the appropriate treatment accordingly.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.