Stiff painful neck, headache, used ice. Have type 2 diabetes and IBD. Could IBD be connected to toricollis?

General Surgeon
I woke up several weeks ago in an unusually cold room, with a stiff painful neck, which has persisted for over 2 weeks, with constant headaches which do not respond to OTC painkillers. Last night I did some research and think it may be Torticollis. I did some of the exercises suggested, and used ice, and it helped a great deal. I still have pain, although better.
I also have type 2 diabetes, and a raging case of IBD, which is in a flare right now. I am hydrating myself well, and trying to stay with cautious foods, but the bleeding, loss of control, fever, and exhaustion continues. Anything I can be doing to help myself during this time? Could the IBD be connected in any way to Torticollis, or is it a fluke? What can I take for the Torticollis that wont irritate the bowel more? I am a 56 yr old woman at the end of my rope.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I do not think that you are suffering from torticollis. Torticollis or wry neck is a one sided contracture of sternocleidomastoid ( a muscle found in the neck) causing the neck to be bent to one side.
A cervical muscle spasm caused or exacerbated by cervical spondylosis would be the most probable reason on you case. I would suggest that you continue with the exercise. Hot fomentation and diclofenac spray would also help relieve the pain. This would not affect your bowel since it’s a local application.
This spasm is not related to your diabetes or your inflammatory bowel disease.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.