Stiff neck, lump above collar bone. Suggest.

I once slept on a wrong side and ended up developing a stiff neck, after some time i noticed a small olive size soft lump just above the collar bone, this was just 2 weeks ago, what should i do?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 22 hours later

Your query has been answered by our specialist Dr. Sangeet , XXXXXXX Consultant, Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Kindly find the specialist's answer below:

Sleeping on the wrong side / improper sleeping position is known to causes stiff neck. This will subside by itself within few hours if not mostly within the next morning. If there is excessive pain you can use heat therapy like hot fomentation or analgesic ointments.

The soft lump just above the collar bone is probably a lymph node. This has no relation with your stiff neck. The lymph node could have increased in its size due to infection. Usually such lymph node return to their normal size in a couple of weeks.

If they remain or increase in size even after two weeks the cause of it has to be investigated. You will be prescribed a course of antibiotics following which lymph nodes will decrease in its size. If they do not you will have to do an FNAC of the lymph node. FNAC is a procedure where needle is introduced into the lymph node and sample to taken from it for analysis. After the reports are obtained treatment would be initiated.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Dr. Sangeet