Stiff neck. Is that a symptom of west nile fever?

do you have to have more than 1 symptom of west nile to really have west nile fever? my husband has had a very bad stiff neck for about 5 days, but none of the other symptoms.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this neck stiffness in your husband. There are several different possible cases of neck stiffness with the most common being a poor sleeping position at night.

As the name goes, Nile fever, you really need to have a fever before rushing to thinking about this diagnosis unless there are other specific reasons that make you raise a high suspicion for this condition.

Neck stiffness is a sign of severity but isolated it cannot be a highly predictive of this condition.

Let him try pain medications to control the headaches for now like ibuprofen and Tylenol. If he should not get better the get him consulted to figure out what the cause is though would most likely not be related too this Nile fever.

In all, you need more information that he lacks to raise the suspicion of this illness. Manage the neck stiffness with pain medications and if it should persist, seek consultation for exam and probably laboratory investigations if judged appropriate.

Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications. I wish your husband a rapid recovery and you both a health y life.
Dr. Ditah, MD