Stiff, itchy and raised rash on back, sore throat, prescribed Triamcinolone, Z pack. Are sore throat and rash related?

27yr Male 180lbs 5'8"
I have a large raised rash on my lower back. It is stiff under and at time very itchy. I have had it for about 5-6 days were it came on first as a bite or a scratch but has since grown the center is about 2" roughly and has a dark

the picture is not that good but if you look closely you can see the inner and outer parts of the rash and see that it is raised like large welp or hive and it is also rough to the touch like hives but have been is same place for days. ** the white on the very outside is just ointment that didnt absorb
almost grey color and some flakey skin the raised part continues out covering probably a 4'' area. It is very stiff and almost hard to the touch like touching a flexed muscle. I have had mrsa in the past and now concerned. Also I went to the Dr. today and recieved some ointment (Triamcinolone Acetonide) for the rash but not sure how well he really looked into it as I was also there for a sore throat in which he gave me a z pack after a strep test was negative. are the sore throat and rash related and what should I do?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I get the feeling you have developed urticaria like condition.

No, your sore throat and rash may not be connected.

You must have been exposed to some allergic substance/food/etc which you were not aware. By the looks in your picture - I do not see a grave condition for you.

Here's what you got to do:
1. See if it subsides with that ointment for some days if not -
2. Get some antihistaminics (on prescription) for itching.
3. You may need blood tests/skin biopsy only if it is getting more keep observing daily.
4. Avoid tight clothes/ warm baths.

Urticaria like rashes usually subside on their own and may not need extensive therapy.

Since you do not have any abscess,cellulitis or abscess it looks less unlikey like MRSA( methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus)

MRSA can be suspected if you have fever, chills, low blood pressure, joint pains, severe headaches, shortness of breath, and "rash over most of the body" .These are symptoms that need immediate medical attention.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Follow-up: Stiff, itchy and raised rash on back, sore throat, prescribed Triamcinolone, Z pack. Are sore throat and rash related? 9 hours later
as i woke up this morning I noticed a few more bumps that I did not notice before around the outside of the rash again looking like hives. Should I try a benadryl or other otc first? also I notice that if I walk any distance or really just go out in the heat (live in south florida) it becomes very itchy and uncomfortable. Is there something I can do for this I have been missing work this week because of the viral infection that I have and do not want to get anyone sick at work and know I need to rest. But when I am at work I work outside in the sun as a Yacht Mate this requires me to be in the heat often with hot (sweaty or wet from the sea) clothes. I am sure that I should "try" to avoid this but I have bills and in this industry its easy to be replaced as they are foriegn flagged vessels that need not go by the laws of the US. and unfortunatley I do not have health insurance because I am not eligible with my employers for another month.

also there is a small amount of discharge at times mostly in the morning. but not enough that it goes through shirts or anything like that.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you could try benadryl. It will take care of the itch.

As you are already on Azithromycin tablets for your sore throat, that would suffice to kill any bacteria inside that rash as well.

Keep it dry as much as possible (keep some sterilized cotton in your pocket to clean away the discharge) and avoid exposure to the sea water at your workplace.

Keep a watch over those MRSA symptoms above, and get going with life.

Write back for further queries.