Ask a Urologist   »  

Sticky urine, no burning urination, irritation in urethra. Cause?

Question
I recently cleaned around my toilet and found that the urine spilled on the floor is very sticky, I do not have burning during urination, but I do have a slight irritation in my urethra tube. What could be the cause? I am 49 yrs old, 6'2" and 277 lbs. with no medical problems
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 minutes later

Your symptoms likely seem to be due to due to UTI are frequent urination, burning sensation during urination, passing of blood in urine and even fever. Drink plenty of water and fluids and wear cotton undergarments.

Making a diagnosis of a urinary tract infection includes performing a urinalysis test, which checks for the presence of pus, white blood cells, and bacteria in the urine, which point to a urinary tract infection.

A urine culture and sensitivity is usually performed to find the exact microorganism that is causing the infection and to determine the most effective antibiotic to treat it.

A short course of antibiotics is all that is required for the management of UTI. You should also ensure to take plenty of fluids as eradication of infection by flushing out the bacteria with adequate fluid intake does help a lot.

In view of the urine being sticky, it makes sense to get a blood sugar done as diabetes mellitus needs to be ruled out. The urine analysis will also help in looking for the presence of glucose in urine.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Hope it helps you. Regards.