Sticky clear discharge from nipples after abortion

Hi Doctor, I had an abortion at 8 weeks & 4 days pregnant. 3 days after the procedure I noticed my nipples would express a few drops of clear, sticky liquid if I squeezed them. Now that was on Sunday, now it is Tuesday & when I squeeze them, I get the same clear, sticky liquid mixed with with stuff (similar to milk) Is this normal & why does it happen? Also when can I expect this to stop? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 9 May 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

Expression of milky discharge from the breasts is normal after an abortion; as the uterus contracts strongly after it is emptied and causes increased secretion of oxytocin which leads to watery or milky secretion.

You need not worry at all. This will subside on its own without any treatment in next 7-10 days.

Avoid breast stimulation, such as frequent breast self-exams or sexual activity to reduce the discharge earlier.

If the discharge does not decrease in 10 days then medications like high dose vitamin B6 may be needed under the supervision of your gynecologist.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.