Sticky, ash colored discharge from child's ear, no smell

Question
Ash color sticky discharge from my kids left ear.When I try to clean it with an ear bud, its yellow in color but no smell
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 25 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions. Dark or ash colored discharge generally happens from pollutants in the air. The job of the discharge is to trap dirt or other particles and prevent them from getting further into the body. Black or gray discharge happens often in the city because of pollution in the air. Else, it could be glue ear which is usually caused by a problem with the Eustachian tube. It often follows after a cold or ear infection. The Eustachian tube is small and blocks easily. It then fails to ventilate the middle ear.
Sticky secretions can't drain away, so fluid builds up in the middle ear. Movement of the eardrum and ossicles is impaired, causing partial deafness. Will recommend you to kindly get her ear examined to get a confirmatory diagnosis. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks

Follow-up: Sticky, ash colored discharge from child's ear, no smell 1 hour later
Thak you very much for the response. I consulted a doctor last week. But he said its the wax which is coming out as fluid. But this is still occuring, but not regularly. Once or twice in two days. Moreover my kid doesnt feel any pain or irritation in her ear. If i try to clean her ears ,this fluid appears like gum or some kind of elastic in nature. Please advice

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 13 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for your kind response, yes it could be wax which could be coming out. Earwax is made in the outer ear canal, it is formed by secretions from the sebaceous glands lining the ear canal, plus a collection of the cells that slough off from the lining of the ear canal. Earwax has protective properties. It provides a barrier protecting the sensitive lining of the ear canal against water. It also contains infection-fighting elements that protect against bacterial and fungal infections. Yet, earwax can plug the canal, causing irritation and sometimes interfering with hearing. Earwax may need to be removed if one suspects an ear infection, as long as there is no pain or irritation there are less chances of it being infected. The best way to handle earwax is to not handle it at all. If there's wax on the outer ear, you can wipe it away with a cotton swab or, better yet, a wet washcloth. But if you think she has wax buildup inside, ask your doctor and if it's a problem, she can safely remove it by flushing your child's ear with warm liquid, which loosens the earwax and allows it to come out on its own. If your child regularly produces too much earwax, your clinician might suggest simple rinsing treatments you can do at home, and may also prescribe medication that will prevent the buildup. If you have no further clarifications, will request you to kindly close the query and rate it. Thanks

Follow-up: Sticky, ash colored discharge from child's ear, no smell 10 minutes later
Thank you once again for the detailed answer. One more clarification, if the problem is with the ear wax, how long will it occure? This has been happening intermittently for the past 15 days, though its not regularly. I read in some of the articles that, there may be a hole in the ear drum can also cause the similar issue. If it is some bacterial infection, could you please suggest some drops to apply on the ear?

Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 7 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for your kind response, as she is quite young and it is common to have excess wax production , also as she has no major symptoms of pain or irritation, it is less likely to be associated with any infection. If there was any hole in the ear drum then I am sure your clinician would have shared it with you, also the hearing capacity would have been compromised. If there is any bacterial infection (if confirmed), then giving a broad spectrum antibiotic eardrop like ciprofloxacin can be useful. If you have no further clarifications, will request you to kindly close the query and rate it. Thanks