Sternum pain, soreness, back pain, sleeping badly, no rib pain

Ive been having pain in my sternum when i move my neck in certain positions and if i move my arms certain ways. There is one tiny spot on sternum that is sore when i touch it today. Ive been to the chiropractor for it and they claimed it was my ribs being out of place. I do have some pain in the back as well pretty much in the same spot as the sternum. I also find myself sleeping on my stomach at night and toss & turn a lot. it doesn't hurt when i normally breathe and it doesn't ache it just feels sore when i move right.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
From your description, it seems that you are having inflammation of your sternoclavicular joint. Exact diagnosis can be made only after proper examination by an orthopaedician. So I suggest you to consult one.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your arms. Do not raise your arms over your head.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.