Sternum area pain, took ECG , no heart problems, breathing problem, cough, phlegm. Suggest.

Male 21 years old. Pain down centre of my chest (sternum area) and under the left breast, not heart related as i had an ECG and blood taken last month. Pain is worse when I walk and it becomes slightly harder to breathe. I have a slight cough which makes the pain worse and a small amount of phlegm. It makes me gag but not vomit, which causes the area under my ribs to become sore. Help appreciated.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 13 minutes later

I would like to ask you a few more questions to help my diagnosis.
1.When do you have the cough/pain since?
2.What colour is the phlegm?
3.Have you had any similar problems in the past?
4.Do you have any medical disorders?
5.Have you had any tests done?

Awaiting your reply,

Follow-up: Sternum area pain, took ECG , no heart problems, breathing problem, cough, phlegm. Suggest. 27 minutes later
Thank you
1) Pain is about a week at this stage has only become a big problem in the last two days
2) the phlegm is yellow in colour
3) I had pleurisy about a month and a half ago
4) No medical disorders
5) No tests done at present
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 hours later
Ok thanks XXXXXXX
It seems to me that you probably have a chest infection that could easily become pnuemonia unless you are careful.Yellow phlegm indicates infection.Tests need to be done,among them,blood tests for cbc,sputum test and chest xray are most important.You have got pleurisy again.That is mainly due to the infection of the lining of the lungs.You should ideally be admitted for a couple of days for iv antibiotics.But if not possible then oral antibiotics need to be started as early as possible
I would suggest that you see your doctor,get the necessary tests done at least.

Take steam inhalation several times a day.

If you lie flat on your back,you may cough more so prefer a propped up position.

I would also recommend a sputum test so consult with your doctor about that.