Stepped on thorn and hurt. Pulled, no blood seen. Noticed blister and blood clot. Should I be worried?

May 2014

I stepped on a small thorn while playing in the grass yesterday. I pulled it out immediately and it came out in its entirety. There was no external blood, but a small dot of blood beneath the skin, which went away shortly. Today my toe is somewhat swollen and there's was looks like a small blister just under the skin. I rubbed it with some tea tea tree oil. I am conscious of it, but it's not terribly painful. Should I wait a few days and see if the swelling goes down or see a doctor? Should I be doing anything specific to it at home? I attached a photo -- it is the second toe and the small blister is under the skin in the center of the toe. Let me know if I should try to take a better photo.
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

From the images it looks like a trivial injury in medical terms.

Please apply some antiseptic ointment over your blister on your toe. The blister is due to very small subcutaneous injury. You can cover the toe with a dressing (ones available at your pharmacy) if its painful.

Taking a tetanus toxoid shot can be beneficial if you are already not immunised and in the habit of walking on grass regularly.

I'm just hoping that the thorn pricked and and came out completely (nothing was left inside the skin). If its extremely painful, you must see your doctor.

Hope your query is answered.

Dr Vivek