Stepped on a bone and punctured foot. Puncture is like a pin prick. Should I be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My son stepped on a bone in the yard and it punctured his foot , very small puncture, like a pin prick. We cleaned it he says it doesn't hurt, should we be worried?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry-just keep watch

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,

I have studied your case with diligence.

As wound is very small and it doesn’t hurt anymore there is nothing to worry.
You may need to regularly watch and clean wound.
If you see any signs of infection like raised local temperature, pus collection, increase in pain then you should consult your doctor.
Till time take rest for few days, keep foot clean.
If you suspect any infection then it is better to give antibiotic cover consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Stepped on a bone and punctured foot. Puncture is like a pin prick. Should I be worried? 12 hours later
What about things like rabies?
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Least likely to transmit.

Detailed Answer:

Rabies will only be transmitted if that bone and blood on it was infected with rabies virus.
If you are not aware of any details of that bone then its better to consult doctor ,he will asses wound and will decide to give anti rabies vaccine.
But probability of transmission is very rare in such case.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer follow-up queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.