Stent was placed after renal angiography and angioplasty. What is the life span of a stent?

Jul 2016

hello doctor , my dad is 60 rs of age . in the year 2007 he had to under renal angiography and this was followed up by angioplasty. the doctors gave him medicines and he has been on them since then. this treatment was taken in delhi and now he is seing a differnt doctor in a differnt city. my qurery is about the life of the stent that was put for blockage clearance. it has been 5 year that the stent was put in his body. does the same have a life ? pls clarify and help
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later

Thanks for your query. Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your father has undergone placement of Stent for Renal Artery Stenosis(Blockage) in 2007.

Since 5 years have passed after surgery you are naturally worried about the life of a stent.
The life of the stent depends upon whether it is medicated stent or simple stent.
Information regarding this can be found out from the hospital record or Dr who had performed the surgery.

Consult an intervention cardiologist for assessment. Depending upon the information available, he may advise you to repeat angiography to assess the status of the stent, condition of the blockage in Renal artery and, if necessary, may replace the stent placed earlier with medicated stent available now. Life of these medicated stents is 10- 15 years.

Hope I have answered your query.

Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks with Regards.

Follow-up: Stent was placed after renal angiography and angioplasty. What is the life span of a stent? 13 hours later
thanks a lot doctor !!! will revert back after doing the suggested by you.
regards XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Thanks for follow up.
Go ahead and do write to me in case you need any help.
Thanks and Regards.