Starts feeling sick, dizzy and loss of energy whenever I take a panadol. What could be wrong?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Whenever I take a panadol, after a few hours of taking it I start to feel really sick and dizzy and lose all my energy. Can you help me solve what could be wrong?
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 50 minutes later
Panadol is acetaminophen an antiinflammatory drug which is usually well tolerated but can have possible sideffects like low blood pressure, liver and kidney toxicity , blood disturbances like decreased platelets and gastrointestinal upset .
Some people might develop allergy or anaphylactic reactions too.
Since you develop symptoms after few hours of Panadol it's most likely due to the drug absorbed in blood stream and even if you have no rash or any visible signs of allergy you could be having low blood pressure due to it .
So please do not take it without further advise from your doctor . Your doctor can evaluate you and confirm the diagnosis . Sometimes a particular formulation or brand might not be tolerated . If the same symptom occurs with all brands of acetaminophen then you should consult your doctor for alternative drugs like diclofenac etc
Hope I have answered your query.