Starting with Armour Thyroid oral. Have illeostomy. Means fecal material goes through my system. Suggest?

I will be beginning Armour Thyroid oral. Your web page states "excessive fecal loss" may result in less effective results. I have an illeostomy which means fecal material goes through my system in 3 to 8 hours, usually 3-4. Will this impede the results.
Judy Sewell
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Armour thyroid is not the recommended form of thyroid replacement therapy. Levothyroxine is preferred.

In view of the ileostomy, it is possible there is less than optimal absorption of any type of thyroid medication. The best indicator as to whether or not this is occurring is to go by the blood tests that should include:
Total T4
Total T3
T3 resin uptake

And if the diagnosis of 'hypothyroidism' needs to be established then it is worth testing for antibodies in the blood such as TPO and TG antibodies

The following weblinks will guide you further in this matter

The target TSH value is between 0.4 and 2 while the Free T4 can be kept in the high normal range

Literature suggests patients feel best at doses that keep lab test results in this range.

However, if one has osteoporosis or heart disease (such as angina or irregular rhythm) then lower doses are justified