Starting microlite. Suffer arymthmia . Being pill is at risk?

can you advise i am starting back on microlite ocp and was wondering being 38 my aunt died of breast cancer and my first cousin has it aswell, all on my fathers side, does being on the pill but me at risk.. also i did suffer with arymthmia but not taking any medication pls advise
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for query,

Its but normal to be worried in under such circumstances. I would however like to clarify two things:

First: The drug you are taking is an oral combined contraceptive, and is not the drugs classically used for cancer. These combined contraceptives are relatively very safe for your age. It might have side effects in menopausal women, but for you, it is safe.

Secondly: With a family history of breast cancer, it is advisable for you to undergo an annual breast examination, by a gynecologist.

As far as the combined oral contraceptive is concerned concerning your age, it is NOT a risk factor for cancer, and is NOT a contraindication.

Arrythmias are not a contraindication for use of combined oral contraceptive drugs. You might need to be screened to exclude thromboembolic disease, which could be a risk factor. Arrhythmia on its own is NOT. I strongly suggest you consult your cardiologist to characterize the particular type of arrythmia. If it is artrial fibrillation, this could be a risk factor since this condition favors emboli formation. In your case, being asymptomatic, it would be very unusual. However, worth consulting a cardiologist for this.

I think its safe for you taking oral contraceptives at this age. Consult your gynecologist annually for a routine examination based on your family history. A better characterization of the arrythmia might be necessary. Arryhtmia, which not serious is not a contraindications for oral contraceptive use. Main cardiovascular risk factor against combined oral contraceptive use is thromboembolic disease.

Your gynecologist could examine you and give you more advice. Do not hesitate asking any further questions if need be. Wishing you good health. Best regards.

Bain LE, MD.