Starting getting sinus drainage and ear pressure after head injury. Should I be concerned?

I hit my head somewhat hard on a window about 9 hours ago and felt fine after but starting getting sinus drainage and ear pressure, although the ear pressure doesnt hurt. Also it feels like the ear pressure changes after changing my head orientation. Should I go to the ER?
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 49 minutes later

I have gone through the details provided with diligence and I feel you need to visit the ER. Sinus discharge and ear pain following a head injury can be concerning. It may be related to cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leak which can accompany serious head injuries.

Though CSF leaks usually are associated with road traffic injuries where the trauma is very severe and significant, without the detailed examination I cannot absolutely rule out CSF leak in your case.

Watch out for other symptoms such as loss of consciousness, blurring of vision, seizures, bleeding from ear nose or mouth, repeated vomiting etc., which also will need immediate medical attention.

In brief, it would be better to visit the ER.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.