Started working out. Arms feel sore. Started to swell. What could this be?

I started working out with a trainer and my arms were very sore that's gone away but now they started to swell like popye arms . Do you know what this could be ?
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 56 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Swelling and pain could be indications of an inflammation. considering the fact that may be you were not used to an intense mechanical activity as such, strain on muscles produce metabolites that caused the inflammation, swelling and soreness.

For the moment, it might be necessary to use ice parks to calm the pain, simple analgesics like acetaminophen and low dose Ibuprofen. Avoid Ibuprofen in case there is a history of gastritis or peptic ulcer disease.

This treatment should relief within a few days. Failure to respond will involve further investigations. But with continues and more regular exercise, the body shall become adapted and symptoms certainly become rare and actually absent.

I suggest you go on ice parks, acetaminophen and low dose ibuprofen for a beginning. Topical Diclofenac could be of utmost help.

Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be. Wishing you a fast recovery,

Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.