Started with vomiting, diarrhea and then passed out, cant stand very long. Cause?

startd vomiting diarea thenpassedout after cant stand very long
Posted Mon, 7 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please, you may be dehydrated

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much fo rthis query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms and you passing out and being unable to stand for long. If you just ate food that you cannot guarantee its proper handling(occasions, restaurant, friends, prepared days ago, etc), this may very much sit with food intoxication.

From the information you have provided, you are most likely dehydrated after vomiting so much and loosing a lot of fluids and electrolytes. This has resulted in dehydration and hypovolemic (low blood volume) symptoms.

The best way forward is to drink a lot of fluids to replace the losses. However, if nothing can stay down because of too much vomiting, then consider going to the hospital for parenteral(intravenous) fluids and water replacement right away.

I will advice you not to try any drugs that stop diarrhoea. Rather focus on replacing the losses either at home with oral rehydration solution(ORS) or in the hospital with infusions. Diarrhoea doesn't kills, dehydration does. So, please, drink abundantly and replace all losses.

I hope this addresses your query fully.
I wish you a speedy recovery from this.
Dr. Ditah, MD