Started with systemic pruritus. History of hyperthyroidism. Need a second opinion

Question
Hello. About a week ago I started with puritis. Def. had hives head to toe for no apparent reason. Saw allergist he said r/t flu i had. Nothing changed diet, soaps, etc. Took benadryl and went to bed no big deal. Since, I have still had systemic puritis this time over the past week with no apparent hives. However, after itching eccymosis. Significant bruising not so little. This has been in two areas. Any ideas? I have to admit. I have had a significant history in the past two yrs. including hypoparathyroidism r/t thyroidectomy with continual hypocalciema. I feel as though I have something else endocrine transpiring. I am a nurse for 6 years in oncology and have been in the medical field for 9 years. Could you kindly just give an opinion. I sincerely know that I am not at all self inflicting this and am a bit concerned. Thanks so very much.
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 38 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. Systemic pruritus can occur in a few endocrine disorders. Hypothyroidism if untreated can cause pruritus due to xerosis or dryness. this doesnt seem to the case in yours. Hyperthyroidism can also cause pruritus and this is again not a concern in you. Sideeffets of antithyroid drugs can cause pruritus due to cholestatic jaundice- not relevant in your case again. Diabetes can cause pruritus but you are not a diabetic. Rare causes include Multiple endocrine neoplasia and tumoral calcinosis that cant be considered in your case. Im afraid the pattern you describe cant be attributed directly to any endocrine problem or its treatment. Obviously there is something else responsible that has not been diagnosed yet. I suggest following endocrine tests to reconfirm that your hormonal parameters are normal- Thyroid profile, Serum calcium, phosphate and Alkaline phosphatase, LFT, PTH and absolute eosinophil count. Please get these investigations and get back to me. I wish I had a better answer. But we are looking at something which is distant to say the least with common endocrine disorders. Hopefully proper evaluation will lead to the bottom of the problem.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad