Started with sore throat and incredible low back. Feels dizzy, ankle swell and stomach bloating. Suggest?

I started with a sore throat and incredible low back pain. Then before I knew it I was dizzy all the time. The next day I noticed my ankles swell and some stomach bloating

Please note this was while I traveled to Hawaii and also did snuba water activity? But the sore throat and back pain started before the water activity
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Your clinical presentation of sore throat, severe back pain followed by swelling of ankles and also bloating suggest few possibilities which include most probably some kidney infection like glomerulonephritis (sometimes it develops as a complication of sore throat because of some bacterial or viral infection) or other possibilities like deep vein thrombosis (may be because of long distance travel to Hawaii) or could be due to collection and trapping of fluid (fluid retention) in lower legs because of some dysfunction with organs like heart, liver, apart from kidney.

I would suggest you to visit a physician for physical examination and investigations. Further work-up can include checking your blood pressure, investigations like urinalysis, complete blood profile, throat swab, Antistreptolysin titres (ASO) to rule out the above possibilities.

Based on results of these tests we can narrow down the possibilities to a single diagnosis.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vasanth