Started with neck pain moving to shoulder with intense pain. Have itchy rash on arms and legs. Advise?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello, I started with neck pain in the back of my neck for 2 days (thought i slept wrong) which then went to my right shoulder blade with intense pain. After 2 more days I started with a rash on my arms and legs which was extremely itchy. My symptoms are persisting but now my whole right arm is very achy as well. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 41 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

It seems from your description that neck & shoulder pain and the development of rash are two different entities.

I suspect that your shoulder & arm pain could be due to a CERVICAL STRAIN or a CERVICAL DISC COMPRESSION (which could have developed secondary to odd positioning of your neck while sleeping).

Try the below mentioned measures to alleviate your pain -

* Rest to the injured part and don’t involve in activities which puts additional strain on the injured tissues.
* Ice packing should be applied for about 20 minutes once in every 2 hours.
* Analgesic & anti inflammatory medications
* Once the acute pain subsides, Moist heat is applied to relax the muscles

If the symptoms are not resolving , you need an evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any more clarifications.