Started with chills, vomiting, fever and diarrhoea. Getting night sweats. What should I do?

Nov 2013

Started off with chills and throwing-up on Tuesday, that subsided on Wednesday, but then had a fever on Wednesday up to 102, plus diarrhea on Wednesday. The fever and diarrhea subsided Wednesday evening, but I started getting night sweats Wednesday night and Thursday night. I have body aches throughout the process and I also been fatigued.

No sorethroat, stuffy nose or ear ache.

My doctor told me its the flu, but I think it is something more than that with the night sweats
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
First of all, let me reassure you that you are not suffering from any serious illness.

Based on your symptoms, the most likely diagnosis is viral fever.
You have had fever of four days duration associated with myalgia (body aches), fatigue, tiredness and night sweats. Now, the fever and diarrhoea have subsided.

Fatigue, tiredness and body pains are common in the convalescent (recovery) phase of viral fever.
Night sweats, though not very common, does occur in this phase too.
Some viral fevers present with diarrhoea (as in your case).

Night sweats are not very specific for any illness, but they are more often reported in malignancies such as lymphoma, tuberculosis, etc. However, you do not have any such disease, as the duration of symptoms in them would be a few weeks rather than a few days.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM