Started wearing tampon. Hurts while peeing. Should I be worried?

May 2013
My daughter has just started wearing a tampon because we are on holiday. She has found it hard and now she says it hurts when she pees when the tampon is out. Should we worry? Can she carry on wearing them?
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

the possible causes for you daughter's problem are,

-urinary tract infection: that might have occurred during the process of wearing and maintaining the tampon,

-local injury like small scratch etc on urethra while keeping the tampon,

so let her follow general measures like,
-drinking plenty of water,
- using water based lubricant jelly while insertion,
-washing hands thoroughly while inserting,

if the pain will subside with these measures she can use tampon, if not better to consult gynecologist once and get examined for urinary infection by microscopy and culture and sensitivity of urine,
local examination to rule out minor injuries.

depending on the result she can continue tampon if not better to use sanitary pads.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.