Started vomiting with low grade fever. Having pain in lower leg. Are they linked?

Dear Dr. Grief,

I hope you can help me.

My son awoke last night and vomited. He had no fever last night and woke up with a low grade fever this morning. In addition, this morning he was limping and indicates he has pain in his lower leg (shin). He is not walking without limping and not bending his left leg. Are the vomiting and leg pain linked?

I am trying to get a doctor's appointment but because we recently moved, the earliest I can see someone is tomorrow. Please can you help me.
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
A child doing vomiting can have pain legs if he gets dehydrated.
Dehydration results in electrolyte loss which can result in limping.
But since your child has vomited once,dehydration looks unlikely.
Viral infection can result in fever with pain legs.
I advise you to give your child only paracetamol syrup and wait and watch.
If the symbols persist or aggravate,then you have to consult a doctor and get appropriate investigations done.
Till you consult your doctor,take care of his hydration and keep a watch on his fever.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck