Started vomiting suddenly. Having chest and nasal sinuses painful. What to do?

ENT Specialist
Last night while I was out to dinner with my husband and another couple, we were eating at the table and enjoying a few drinks... we were laughing about something and all of a sudden completely out if the blue I started to uncontrollably vomit out of my nose. I have never experienced this and I am wondering why I began to vomit? I was not feeling ill or showing any signs of illness. Today my chest and nasal sinuses are painful. Do you have any answers as to what happened? Thank you
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. A one off incident of nasal regurgitation while suddenly laughing with food in the mouth is possible without any disease.

2. The delicate nasal and sinus mucosa (lining) is probably exposed to the food stuff, and should settle down. You may get a nasal endoscopy done to check whether any food particles are stuck in the nose.

3. You may get an examination done, especially if this happens again or you have any additional symptom such as a hyper nasal voice, change in voice, difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia), slurring of speech, cough, choking on food, dribbling of saliva and so on.

4. The chest discomfort may be due to the vomiting or aspiration of food or secretions into the lungs.

5. Your doctor may check your Cranial Nerve Functions including the gag reflex, palatal and tongue movements and so on. A Neurologist's opinion may be required to rule out any degenerative neural condition.

6. Do you have any recent history of a viral infection?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.