Started vomiting and feeling sick after head injury. Painful bump appeared on head. Safe remedy?

Question
hi I have fallen backwards and hit my head on the concrete, I have been vomiting and feeling sick over the last 24 hours. I have a large lump to the back of the head that is extremely painful, it feels like liquid is moving when I touch it?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 9 minutes later
Hello madam,

Thank you for posting this question in XXXXXXX

The severity of brain injury following trauma to head depends upon the presence/absence of associated complaints and/or neurological deficits. The presence of symptoms like vomiting, loss of consciousness, seizures, bleeding from nose, ear, black eye, weakness of hands/legs, etc., would point towards the possibility of brain injury. The local swelling (the side of impact), injury may not help guide a physician predict the severity of brain insults. The swelling which you have described could be due to a local bleed

I will advise you to get evaluated by a local neurologist/neurosurgeon and they will guide you through clinical evaluation and CT scan of brain with bone window to note if there is any bleed/fracture.

If there is no brain injury/bleed, the pain will improve with simple analgesics.

Better get evaluated at the earliest.

Hope this clarifies your query. Please get back if you any further questions in this issue

Follow-up: Started vomiting and feeling sick after head injury. Painful bump appeared on head. Safe remedy? 16 hours later
this may seem weird but can it cause numbness in my right had and fingers ? the hit to my head was on the back bottom left hand side

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later
Thanks for the update
Yes, Numbness in the right side can be due to a injury to the left side of brain. But local nerve compression in the right side need exclusion.

Hope this clarifies

Follow-up: Started vomiting and feeling sick after head injury. Painful bump appeared on head. Safe remedy? 2 hours later
I went and seen a GP, he did not look at my head ? he looked at my hand and said what it could be caused from but did not send me for any test ? he just said come back in a couple of days if it dose not go away ? should I get a second opinion?

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 minute later
A second opinion from a neurologist will provide you more clarity about the problem. I would definitely suggest a second opinion consult with a neurologist.

I will be pleased to help you further if needed.

Good luck!