Started valacyclovir for rash on nose. Is it possible to choke with shingles getting worse on throat?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Is it possible to choke with shingles getting worse on back of throat?
I started valacyclovir yesterday when rash appeared on nose.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 6 hours later
Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX
If shingles involves the maxillary or mandibular branch of the trigeminal nerve, it results in intraoral involvement with lesions on the palate, tonsillar fossa, floor of the mouth, and tongue. It usually does not involve beyond that.

However, if there occurs extensive lesion, it may lead to difficulty in swallowing.

Treatment with valacyclovir should be started as soon as possible after appearance of rash or at least within 72 hrs of appearance. I think you have done it correctly.

I hope I have answered your queries. I will be happy to answer, if you have any further questions.
All the best
Get well very soon.
Follow-up: Started valacyclovir for rash on nose. Is it possible to choke with shingles getting worse on throat? 14 hours later
Thank you for your reassuring response: Soft palate less engroged, today, thank goodness & swallowing OK but sore to eat, of course.!
I found ice chips & sleeping elevated helped.

Today I see 2 small pink spots near lower rim of eye socket on the involved side of face.
Am praying this in unrelated, but is there a possibility of eye involvement & if so how do I proceed??
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 2 hours later

Zoster ophthalmicus is usually a debilitating condition that can result in blindness in the absence of antiviral therapy. It has been observed that lesions on the tip of the nose usually presage corneal lesions.

You should immediately visit a ophthalmologist once zoster ophthalmicus developed. Therapy will be administration of analgesics for severe pain and the use of atropine.

Do not take aspirin for pain relief. Valacyclovir to be continued. Decisions about the use of glucocorticoids will be made by the ophthalmologist.

Tepid water baths and wet compresses are better than drying lotions for the relief of itching.

I hope I am clear. Send me querry if you still need something. I ll be happy to extend a helping hand.

All the best,