Started taking thyronorm 25mg. Feeling breathlessness. What should I do?

i started taking thyronorm 25mug today as my tSH is 5.1 as prescribed by my doc. i feel breathlessness now. what should i do now. i delivered 8 months back and still breast feeding
Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

One of the side effects off thyroxine is respiratory problem. In 16%-25% cases it resolves within 3-4 weeks after starting of treatment. But sometimes there is dosing problem - so suddenly body thyroid hormone level increase giving rise to hyperthyroidism like picture. So patients having palpitation, chest discomfort, respiratory problem, tremor, etc., the symptoms can be precipitated and in such cases there is need of urgent dose reduction of thyronorm.

So please consult with your physician earliest; thyroid function test needs to be done. Based on the report he can understand the cause of respiratory distress - whether it is a side effect or overdose of thyronorm and adjust the dose of thyronorm accordingly.

A woman who is hypothyroid and taking thyroid hormone replacement should continue it as prescribed by her endocrinologist/physician. Stopping thyroid hormone or reducing the doses at this time is not recommended because that will lead to insufficient treatment for hypothyroidism and puts the woman at risk of various symptoms and side effects of hypothyroidism. More over proper thyroid hormone replacement is actually necessary for normal lactation and to maintain a sufficient milk supply.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sourav Ganguly