Started taking prozac. Feeling very dull, lethargic and anti social. Withdrawal or is it because of prozac?.

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2014
Dec 2014
Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Hello doctor, i am a recovering alcoholic. Been away from alcohol since a week now. I have started taking prozac since 2 days (20mg) for 3 months as directed by my physician. How ever since few days i have been feeling very dull, lethargic and anti social. I just want to sit alone all day. Been having very negative thoughts about myself. I wanted to know is this because of withdrawal or is it because of prozac?. I have been drinking since the past 2 years and have decided to quit for a while. Would do u recommend i do ? Should i just wait for this depression and anxiety to go away ? If so how much time does it take for withdrawal to go away. I am having moderate symptoms
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DUE TO WITHDRAWAL

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I have read your question and understand your problem. You have been taking alcohol for about 2 years and then stopped taking it. Continuous alcohol intake cause dependence both psychological and physical. When individual stop the use then there is risk of withdrawal syndrome. The withdrawal syndrome is in mild intensity in most of alcoholics but in some it may be severe like precipitation of convulsions (rum fits) or delirium. In most of individuals mild symptoms like irritability, sleep problems, increased drowsiness, poor concentration, severe anxiety etc are seen. Due to severe anxiety negative thoughts comes in individuals mind and some times depressive symptoms are seen.
Prozac is fluoxetine and it is a SSRI drug. It is a good anti anxiety drug but in some individuals it may cause rebound increase in anxiety during first few days of therapy. But the anxiety is typically characterized by insomnia and restlessness. So as per my opinion the symptoms you are having are most likely due to withdrawal syndrome of alcohol.

I would advise you to please visit a Psychiatrist for the anxiety due to withdrawal. Many good medicines are used in alcohol withdrawal especially of benzodiazepine group. Newer medicines like Oxazepam, etizolam etc are very useful in such symptoms and don't cause dependence.

Continue to take Prozac for depressive symptoms.

Acute withdrawal symptoms usually go with in 5-7 days if proper dose tapering is done but long terms symptoms like slight anxiety, irritability may last for few months so there is need to take some antianxiety medicine like oxazepam.

Hope it helps you, if you have more questions you can ask again.

Thanks

Follow-up: Started taking prozac. Feeling very dull, lethargic and anti social. Withdrawal or is it because of prozac?. 7 minutes later
Doctor thank you so much ! That really solved my question..thank u...1 last thing..how long does this withdrawal last ? I am plannin on leaving alcohol completly for few months to get over this feeling..as per your experience with patients how long does it last ?

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Long term withdrawal is also called as Protracted withdrawal and it usually last for about 6 months but the severe anxiety will only last for only a week or two. You can take help of a Psychiatrist for that, many anti craving drugs are given for about 6 months to prevent relapse like Acamprosate, naltrexone etc. They help in reducing craving for alcohol.

Thanks

Follow-up: Started taking prozac. Feeling very dull, lethargic and anti social. Withdrawal or is it because of prozac?. 4 minutes later
Thank u doctor..god bless you..i will take your advice as it is exactly how i feel too...doctor does prozac help in social anxiety also ? Social phobia ? I have minor phobia of being judged

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Yes fluoxetine helps in social anxiety also if taken for at least 4-6 months. If you have minor problem of social phobia like fear of presentation or fear of speaking in public then other drugs like Propranolol can be taken on SOS basis.

Thanks

Follow-up: Started taking prozac. Feeling very dull, lethargic and anti social. Withdrawal or is it because of prozac?. 2 minutes later
Thank u

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Its my pleasure to answer you.