Started taking morphgesic instead of temgesic. Having back pain. Side effect of medicine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My doctor has changed my pain medicine from buprenorhine hydrochloride (temgesic) 400 microgram
To Morphine Sulphate SR (morphgesic) 100 milligram I started Friday but as up to now I am having a lot of lower back pain I have spondylosis so what is the diffrence between the two diffrent medication he told me I would have a lot less pain but all this has done is increase the pain what what is the diffrence between a microgram to a millingram
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Both these drugs are commonlly used strong opoids to treat severe pain.
Pharmacologically, buprenorphine is related to morphine but is a partial agonist (possesses both agonist and antagonist properties).
A microgram is a thousandth of a milligram.Here these indicate the strength of the drug.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Started taking morphgesic instead of temgesic. Having back pain. Side effect of medicine? 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply can you tell me why he would want me to take this drug which is the strongest of the two drugs as I am getting some strange side affects from the new drug like muscle contractions around my lower back and it then travels around to my stomach it is like beginning in the very early stages of labour and my chest is wheezing which it used to do when I was smoking but it went after I gave up smoking 16 years ago now I feel like I have to give the new drug ago but I don't see the need to change the drug that was working
Thank you for your time
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

In my opinion taking regular strong opioid like morphine is not a solution for your lumbar and cervical spondylosis. you need regular back and neck exercises and physical therapy to reduce te pain.
So I suggest you to get it evaluated by an orthopaedician and further management according to that.

Hope this will help you. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you speeedy recovery...

Regards.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Started taking morphgesic instead of temgesic. Having back pain. Side effect of medicine? 15 hours later
Hi I have had a lot of physiotherapy to ease pain and muscle pain but it has done no good at this time but what I really want to know is what is the stronger of the two medications temgesic 400 micrograms that I have used for my back and neck or the new ones he has put me on morphgesic 100 milligram as I have had very strange side affects like light headinest and the pain I have had in my back as these new tablets do not seem to be managing the tablets at all

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 16 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again

Morphogesic 100mg is stronger opioid than Telmegesic 400microgram.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Regards.