Started taking garcinia cambogia extract and passing watery stool. Cause and cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
So I have had liquid stroll all day long. Last one was really dark almost black. Gross. I do drink a lot of water I am 5'9" and 150lbs. Recently I have been taking Garcinia Cambogia extract. Maybe this could be the cause?
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 45 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

I think with your complaints, you have had liquid 'stool' all day long.

Dark and black stool is suggestive of bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract like stomach or duodenum.

When bleeding occurs in stomach, it reacts with the gastric acid, and digested in the intestinal tract, getting black color stool known as 'malena'.

The cause of bleeding may be erosive gastritis or peptic ulcer.

Usually there are no major side effects of Garcinia Cambogia extract in healthy people.

But I ADVISE :

1.Take plenty of oral rehydration solution like ORS, Pedialyte to prevent dehydration.

2.Observe your hydration status by watching your urine output and moisture of the
tongue.

3.Consult your Physician immediately to evaluate for the cause of your loose stools
and the black stools, including referral to a Gastroenterologist for endoscopy if
required after his assessment.

4.Take your Physician advise on taking Garcinia Cambogia extract whether to
continue or not.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.