Started taking asomex and lasix instead ramipril and olmeg. Noticed increase in potassium level. Reason?

Hello. For many years now I have been on Ramipril 5mg, Olmeg 20mg. Now I have been put on Minipress XL 5 mg and Asomex 5 ,Lasix 40mg. Recently Potassium level has gone to 6.1 .What could be the reason for change in medication . Doesn't amlodopine cause of the ankles? Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 38 minutes later

Thanks for your query,
You have basically two medical issues Hypertension and Gout (Hyperuricaemia). You had high level (6.1) of Potassium which could be due to medicine (Ramipril). This should be the cause for your changing the drugs, and Lasix which is diuretic will also reduce potassium level.

Asomex is purified form of amlodepine and chances of ankle swelling are much less. Please follow the advise of your treating doctor. If your BP is under control and potassium level comes to normal, your medicines may be adjusted accordingly.

I presume your BP is under control.

Hope this will help you to understand better. If you have any further query, I will be available to help.

Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.