Started sudden pain in lung while jogging. Feeling shortness of breath. What are the complications?

Jan 2013

Hi, I was trying to go for a jog yesterday and after maybe 30 metres I had to stop from pain and sit down, luckily there was a bench there. It felt like one lung was being crushed, localized pain, but it really hurt, especially when breathing in, it wasn't a 'stitch' as it was in the chest area. I don't run or jog or exercise often because I can't without becoming very short of breath with a funny chest feeling and I just end up having to stop. My weight is around 49kg, female, just turned 20. The pain I experienced yesterday concerns me, but is it actually cause for concern? Thanks so much.
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 16 minutes later

Do you have fever/ shortness of breath/ pain increasing on respiratory movements?

Do you have squeezing sensation in chest with excessive sweating?

Your symptoms suggest any lung pathology or chest muscle sprain.

You should consult with physician or pulmonologist and shold go for chest x XXXXXXX and ECG as preliminary investigations.

If chest x XXXXXXX suggest some disease pathology such as pneumonia/ pleural effusion/ bone injury, then you should take treatment for the specific disease.

If chest x XXXXXXX is normal, then you should go formuscle relaxants.

Put your query if you have.

best regards,

Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Started sudden pain in lung while jogging. Feeling shortness of breath. What are the complications? 18 minutes later
Thank you for your answer so quickly, I am not sick with a fever or sweating, but I have been feeling short of breath today at times also with some fatigue. I think more than likely it is muscle sprain as I have pain when laughing or breathing deeply. However, I feel it is unlikely to have hurt a muscle just from slow jogging?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 45 minutes later

You are most likely suffering from muscle sprain while you should also go for advised investigations.

Take care,

Dr.Mayank Bhargava