Started spotting with abdominal pain after protected sex. Chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

i gf and i had sex... i had used protection and she even took emergency contraceptive pill to be double sure. this time she had periods though on the same time but bleeding was very less and the did lasted for 3-4 days.. she had spotting one 2 days a week prior to the next due date... after two days of spotting she is having lil bleeding and little pain in her upper abs unlike her lower abs before... is she fine and r there chances of her being pregnant..
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. S Patra 39 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in detail.

Taking dual protection (condom & emergency pill) is more than 99.5% effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy. In case of your girlfriend, chance of pregnancy is almost nil. She can undergo a home pregnancy test (urine for beta-HCG) which can exclude pregnancy and clear doubt from your mind.

Spotting & low blood flow during period are due to hormonal imbalance associated with emergency pill effect, stress/ anxiety, irregular eating habit, psychological factor, weight change etc. She would not be much worried about this thing.

Do the following measures that can be helpful:
1) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times).
2) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables.
4) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.
5) Control body weight by regular light exercise.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Started spotting with abdominal pain after protected sex. Chances of pregnancy? 12 hours later
She is having little bleeding now since past two days though it is less but can we say its menses ... will she get back to normal soon
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query.

First of all, she would eliminate the doubt over pregnancy completely by urine HCG test.

Low blood flow is due to hormonal imbalance or above said conditions. It is a normal thing following taking emergency pill. Yes. It is menstrual period.

Follow healthy measures according to my previous reply to get back to normal period.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Take care both of you.

Dr Soumen