Started spotting after periods. Scan showed a bit of free flowing fluid. Worried about cancer

Sep 2012

Hi. For the last 3 months i have had irregular periods. I last had a period 5 Oct and since then have had spotting the last time being 16 Nov for approx a week and then only really when i wipe. I went to the doctor who did an XXXXXXX examination but she found nothing. I had swabs taken but they were fine. I have also had blood tests taken which were fine also. I have had a transvaginal scan which showed nothing but abit of free flowing fluid which the doctor siad he would expect to find in someone my age. I have a Meraina Coil which i have had for approx 2.5 years I am really worried this could be cancer?
Posted Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 34 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

The irregular period and spotting you described are mainly due to the Mirena coil. Mirena coil is an intrauterine device which secrets progesterone, a hormonal agent. It has some side effects. In our clinical experience, most common side effect is this type of spotting, irregular bleeding and irregular period.

So, in this present situation, with all the normal reports, you do not need to be worried about cancer. But you have to be cautious.

For this side effects of Mirena, you may consult with your gynecologist for its removal and to change over the barrier contraceptive for contraception. In my opinion, that should be better, keeping your age in mind.

You have to do cervical Pap smear regularly. DO it every year. It will let you know, if there is any abnormal changes.

So, consult with your gynecologist for suitability of the Mirena coil.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Started spotting after periods. Scan showed a bit of free flowing fluid. Worried about cancer 41 minutes later
Hi. I don't understand what you mean to change over to a barrier contraceptive? Also could the coil stop my periods when i have been having the with it for 2.5 years? My cervical Paps have always in the past been normal, i have made one an appt for one next Weds as i am overdue one this year. Could this be a possible cause of my problem?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for writing back.

Barrier contraceptive means use of condoms for contraception.

No, coil cannot stop your period, even when you are using it for more than 2.5 years.

Any abnormality in the cervix may lead to this type of bleeding. But, you have already been examined by a doctor. As the clinical examine revealed nothing, the chance of any obvious abnormality is very less. Delay in doing Pap smear does not lead to this type of condition.

So, consult with your treating doctor about the coil as I previously told and for ordering a routine pap smear examination.

Follow-up: Started spotting after periods. Scan showed a bit of free flowing fluid. Worried about cancer 1 hour later
I am a bit confused now because in the hospital i asked a nurse if the coil could be resonsible for my periods stopping and the spotting to start and she said yes! She said the majority of people on a coil don't have periods and it take this long for mine to stop or perhaps the most likely cause it needs taking out. Also what is the free flowing fluid that was seen on the scan? I aslo had an xray of my stomach and that was clear.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

The coil can not cause stoppage of period. If it occurs then it should also be counted as irregular menstruation. Because, this stoppage is not permanent. When the coil is taken out, the condition reverts back to normal.

As I previously told, coil should be taken out. The symptoms are only due to the side effect of the coil.

To comment on the free fluid in scan report, the position should be known. You did not tell us the exact position. In your age group, some free fluid may present in the Pouch of Doglus. It has no specific clinical significance.