Started spotting after period. Feeling tightness and bloating. Should I be worried for pregnancy?

Question
Hi there,
I had my period roughly 2 weeks ago and now I am having what seems to be a much much lighter version of a period..( i usually get them very heavy and painful) more like spotting and half the time brownish....dont have cramps as such but can feel some tightness and slight bloating. Is this something I should worry about? i haven't had sex since before my last period. Could I still be pregnant?
I have changed my diet and exersize in the last 2 weeks as I'm on a health kick and I have moved cities..does that play a role?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 29 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I have a question for you: you state "could I still be pregnant". This implies that you think you are, or have been pregnant recently. Please clarify.

Thank you.

Follow-up: Started spotting after period. Feeling tightness and bloating. Should I be worried for pregnancy? 29 minutes later
Oh sorry that was misphrasing on my part...i meant could i be pregnant even though i had my period after the last time i had sex?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 hours later
Thank you for the followup clarification. I am sorry about the delay.

I will assume that you have regular cycles. First of all, if you were pregnant related to intercourse from your last cycle, then a pregnancy test would certainly be positive at this point. So if a pregnancy test is negative, then this is not the issue (i.e. you should check just to be sure).

In the setting of regular cycles, the most likely explanation for mid-cycle spotting is related to when you ovulate. At that point, there is a brief and abrupt drop in estrogen levels. This is not uncommonly associated with some mid cycle bleeding. This would also fit with the mid-cycle cramping as well.

I believe that this is the most likely explanation. If there is a change or something different about your description or if you have additional questions, please let me know.

Follow-up: Started spotting after period. Feeling tightness and bloating. Should I be worried for pregnancy? 1 hour later
so is it possible to be pregnant and still get a period after conception?

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
It is not uncommon for a patient to conceive and experience bleeding in the first 4-6 weeks. We typically attribute this bleeding to "implantation" of the fetus and this can sometimes be confused with a period.

So in answer to your question: No, it is not possible to get a period after you have conceived, but it IS possible to have bleeding in the first trimester that mimics a period.

I hope this is not confusing. Please ask if you have any further questions.