Started spotting after intercourse. On pill. What are the complication?

i had sex with my bf on oct 4th, the next day i was spotting a very light pink\orangy discharge everytime i wiped for about 2 days, it turned very dark brown and i have been spotting since, everytime i wipe.. this has never happened to me before, i have never had discharge so dark.. and i am on the pill.there isnt enought to use a tampon, my period is due in 11 days, and the last period i had was on sept 23rd 2012
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

First of all, light spotting after intercourse is normal. The cervix, which is at the top of the vagina, very commonly bleeds a small amount when it is bumped during intercourse. So what you are describing in this regard is actually quite normal.

In addition, spotting while on the pill is also not so unusual. The blood from spotting can make its way out as bright red or a brownish discharge.

Your options are as follows:
1. Take a break from intercourse until the spotting stops. If it recurs with resumption of sexual activity then your OB/GYN should examine the cervix and make sure that this is the source of bleeding
2. If the bleeding seems to persist, then a visit to your OB/GYN would be appropriate to do an exam and ultrasound. If these are both normal, then a discussion of the pill that you are on and whether there is a better alternative pill.
3. While very unlikely, spotting can be associated with pregnancy, so regardless of your plan moving forward, checking a pregnancy test now and again in a week is a great idea.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have more questions - DR XXXXXXX