Started sneezing and now have sore throat, hurts when swallow, neck is stiff. What could it be?

Thank you its a bit strange I started sneezing alot the other day now have a reslly sore throat hurts when I swallow, my neck is a bit stiff. When I drink or eat its hard to swallow It burns and I keep getting hiccups
Posted Tue, 2 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thankd for the health concerns. Given the acuity and sequence of prodromal symptoms, an upper respiratory infection, a rhinopharyngitis most likely; most of these are viral in nature and are self limited in immunecompetent individuals, lasting from 3 to 14 days; if the symptoms worsen over time instead of improving, or other concerning ones such as hoarse voice, drooling, difficulty breathing, stridor, innability to open jaw, severe pain in posterior throat, high fevers, etc ensue, then visiting a provider would be indicated to rule out a potential bacterial infection that may require antibiotics

Hope this information is useful, wish you the best

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN