Started smoking and drinking. Having muscle pain, breathing difficulties and snores. What is going on?

I have a son who is experiencing muscle aches fingers and wrists hurt... Doesnt sleep well cery few hrs per nite... I know he has breathing difficulties and snores... He drinks alot. Recently started smoking again and dipping.... He us very moody... Hot temper and neg thoughts... Hes 24 single and loces music but lately gone through relationship breakup and a jail stay for dwi which was tramatic for him for a short time now he just doesnt care if he gets in any more trouble! Im a desparate mom trying to get help but he wont go see a dr. Can you help... He feels bad and hurts physically and has no drive....
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 hours later

I am sorry to hear about your helplessness to take your son to the doctor when he needs one immediately.

At this stage I think he is undergoing a lot of mental and physical turmoil. This is because of the excessive alcohol consumption and relationship breakup. There are chances of depression and acute stress disorder at this stage. Ideally he needs both medication and counseling at this stage. I am not sure if you can still push him for a consultation with a primary physician.

I can suggest some over the counter medications but his symptoms may resume after their effects wear off. You can give him the following:
1) Tab PRILOSEC OTC 20 mg before breakfast and dinner
2) Tab MOTRIN 200mg after breakfast lunch and dinner

Please remember that if he consumes alcohol he can deteriorate further. You have a greater role to stop him from consuming alcohol. He needs a battery of lab tests too ASAP. The best advice from me would always be taking to a detox or rehab centre to quit alcohol and counsel from an expert.

Let me know if I can help further.