Started sinus with fluid pressure build up and mild pleural thickening in air cell. Done test. Findings?

ENT Specialist
Question
What is mild pleural thickening in anterior right ethmoid air cell? I never had sinus problem before. It suddenly started 2 months back with the sudden fluid pressure build up and now my current medical report states this. I fear if I have oral HPV, i.e. lesion inside due to HPV?
Please see my medical report as described.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get CT scan films examined by ENT specialist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your report.

HPV does not usually cause this problem.

The most important thing at this point of time is whether or not you have symptoms now. Symptoms such as nasal blockage, nasal discharge, excessive sneezing , deceased sense of smell , headaches if associated needs attention. If the symptoms are associated, then this report makes sense. Else mild mucosal thickening can be because of a recent cold or nasal infection which you suffered from 2 months ago (symptoms of pressure). These will go off after a course of antibiotics and decongestants.

If you do have such symptoms continuously then you need to consult an ENT specialist and get the CT scan examined so that he can decide the future course of treatment. Surgical management will be required if antibiotic therapy fails to provide relief.

As I said in earlier, HPV does not usually cause such problems. You need not be worried. Discuss with your ENT specialist. You might need to take a course of antibiotic and decongestant (both oral and nasal ) for 15 days and then repeat CT scan.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Started sinus with fluid pressure build up and mild pleural thickening in air cell. Done test. Findings? 20 hours later
Currently, I am on antibiotic & decongestant from past 6 days. It did provide relief. But I still have air pressure in my ear which is not going accompanied by occasional neck pain, which is like as if there is some small stone moving here or there when I bend the neck on right side. Also pressure pain become worse when I bent forward and while I am sitting. But it is definitely much better now before I started antibiotic.

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue with the medications

Detailed Answer:
Hello ,
You are on your path of recovery, that is good .
Air pressure in the ear will take some time to go . It may take around 3 weeks to completely resolve the ear blockage and heaviness. I suggest to my patients to take decongestants for longer time like 3 weeks from the start.

In addition you can take steam inhalations. And if you do not have pain you can chew chewing gums so that the tube functions improve and air pressure changes is relieved.
.
If your nasal infections and headaches happen again then as I advised previously consult your ENT specialist for plan of surgical management if required.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.

Follow-up: Started sinus with fluid pressure build up and mild pleural thickening in air cell. Done test. Findings? 15 hours later
Apart from ear pressure, I feel pressure on the face after eating, its like face shutdown. I went to ENT today, he asked me to continue meds for 3 weeks. He told I don't have ear and throat infection, it is chronic infection. But I still don't know what caused it.. since I never had any such problem before..

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take precautions for future

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Yes, you may not have active ear infection. But this problem is because the nasal infection / inflammation which blocks the Eustachian tube is blocked resulting in pressure changes between ear and back of nose.

Nasal infection and the edema (opacification seen in the scan) in the sinuses produces nasal discharge and this can cause swelling if the mucosal layer near the opening of eustachain tube resulting in blocked tube.

We need to prepare you so that you do not develop cold and nasal congestion again. And if that happens to treat it at the earliest.
Most importantly your immune system should be strong so that body can fight against the infection.

My advice to prevent recurring nasal inflammation are-
Go for walk daily in morning
Play out door games
Prevent from strong smell of petrol , kerosene , perfumes ,dust ,fumes etc.

"If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health".

Follow-up: Started sinus with fluid pressure build up and mild pleural thickening in air cell. Done test. Findings? 16 hours later

Thanks a lot for the further clarification. Sorry I still have another question. I have been taking amoxicillin from past one week and after that I am observing some discharge (while peeing), not always only 2-3 times. What should I do..? I have sent the message to my doctor and he will revert back to me in sometime..

I had also underwent all STD tests and it all came out to be negative. Also got Urine analysis that also came out normal.

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
get done urine examination again

Detailed Answer:

Is the urine cloudy or different in colour.?
You must get urine examination again---urine routine and microscopy .

The white discharge may be normal or due to infection. Urine test would identify infections if any. And drink lots of water. You can discuss with your physician or urologist about the issue if it persist despite urine test being normal.

Get well soon.
Regards.

Follow-up: Started sinus with fluid pressure build up and mild pleural thickening in air cell. Done test. Findings? 12 hours later

It was cloudy. Now from past 2 days I have been drinking lots of water and I didn't have any discharge since then. Do you think I should wait and see if it happens again..?

Also thanks for the chewing gum advice, it certainly helps a lot when the pressure is there.

Although I still have trouble sleeping in night, feels like my left nose and ear is closed.

Brief Answer:

You are on the path of recovery.

Detailed Answer:

Yes you could wait if the urine is clear, it could be because of less water intake.

Your nose and ears will open up do not worry.

You can do one thing, keep your head end of bed elevated by putting XXXXXXX below the legs of bed on head end side. or put extra mattress below the head end side of your bed, but do not put extra pillows as they will bend your neck and you may develop pain.

You can also start going for walk (brisk walking) daily in the morning this will help a lot.

I hope this will help.