Started shooting pain above the right temple. How to get relief from the pain?

Age 41' male, no previous medical history. Started having sudden spasm of shooting pain above the right temple. Diagonally above eye socket, where you can feel the pulse. Gets relieved after I press the temple area for a while
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 23 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Sometimes things like this happen if you are stressed and your body is tense.
i advice you to relax, it will stop when you stop thinking about it.
I would like to know the duration of illness, and whether there is any history of trauma, cold or sinusitis.
If it had occurred for the first time and the intensity is not severe, it might be tension headache and you need over the counter pain killers it will help you. Even i advice you to do steam inhalation as it may help if it is due to sinusitis.
I advice you to follow the conservative approach for two to three days and if the symptom persists or the severity increases other options like migraine, sinusitis and temporal arteritis should be excluded for which i advice you to see physician for thorough examination and exact diagnosis.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.