Started shaking, sweating and got hot. Is this a sign of diabetes?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Last evening around 6:00 pm I started shaking and got hot and was sweating profusely. I had come home after work and planned on running a quick errand before dinner. I sat down for a minute and realized I was all of a sudden extremely tired. Then I started shaking and sweating. I was wet all over. I had not eaten for about 5.5 hours. This episode lasted about 30 minutes and I ate some ham thinking I needed to eat something. I recently had blood work done and the doctor didn't think I was diabetic. My daughter, studying to be a nurse suggested getting a glucose monitor. Any thoughts? Thanks, Valerie
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Yes , the details you have provided do resemble most probably to an episode of hypoglycaemia which can present as sweating , weakness , tremors etc.
You haven't mentioned your blood glucose levels ( if tested recently ), however it would be best if you get yourself evaluated by tests like fasting and post lunch blood sugar and hbA1C test to get a confirmed diagnosis . Home blood sugar monitoring with a Monitor is an alternative though less accurate than the former mentioned tests.
Also please remember that it's advisable to have small frequent meals ( in normal people too) ie every 3-4 hourly to maintain a steady blood glucose.
So please avoid fasting and do consult your doctor to rule out diabetes or any other cause of hypoglycaemia ( medication sideefect or hormonal imbalance etc)
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries .