Ask a Homeopath   »  

Started pranayam, gaining weight. No change in diet. Could the weight gain be because of yoga?

Naturopathy & Yoga Specialist
I have started practising pranayam since march 2011, i do regular pranayam session of 45 mins everyday, between march 2011 and sept 2011 I lost weight and developed good toned body. My weight was 85Kgs in March and in Sept I was down to almost 81kgs; however since then I have been regularly gaining weight and now I'm almost 92 Kgs. I walk every day for around 1 hour covering around 4- 4.5 Kms. My diet is more or less the same and have got all types of tests done which shwed nothing to worry about. I'm still doing pranayam, athough I don't feel heavy or bloated but the weighing machine shows otherwise. My concern is could the weight gain be because of yoga
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Yoga
Answered by Dr. Sneha 7 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Good to know that you are practicing Pranayama.

In response to your query: Weight gain is unlikely due to Pranayama. Though fat % may have been reduced it is possible that you have gained muscle mass which is showing as extra weight.

However along with regular practice of Pranayama, planning variable type of workout (eg: walking, jog-walking, swimming, cycling, going to a gym) along with different diet plans can help to lose weight rather than a constant exercise and diet pattern everyday.

This would inturn help you increase the metabolic rate resulting in weight loss.

Also if your weight is increasing, periodically monitor thyroid levels in consultation with your doctor.

Hope this has answered your query.