Started periods 4 months after delivery with heavy stomach pain. Later had earlier periods. Diagnosed endometriosis. Help?

My wife got delivered a baby boy 8 months ago and she is not feeding now. After 4 months of delivery my wife got first period. From that point on wards, she is suffering with heavy stomach pain during periods. And in current month she got pre-periods 13days earlier. We consulted a Gynecologist and she got done ultra sound scan. After checking the report, she said my wife has Endometriosis problem and said lining of the womb is growing outside of the uterus. She suggested to use Cycloreg tablets for 5 months as a course and asked to come again on 2nd day of next period to do some more tests.
After browsing about Endometriosis and Cycloreg, I have got some questions. Request you to clarify them.
* Can we believe that my wife has Endometriosis problem by seeing the ultra sound scan report?
* Can Cycloreg tablets used for Endometriosis and is it safe to use long period?

Apart from these periods pain, she has got pain in index finger and thumb joint, and she has got knee pain when sitting down and getting up. I am guessing this could be hormones imbalance problem.

Could you tell me what are the cause for these pains and what medicines she can take for this? Are there any relation of these joint pains with Endometriosis?

Right now she is taking D3 MUST 2K, Calcium and Cycloreg tablets.

Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 16 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for the query.

Althoguh USG can guide us in making a diagnosis of ovarian endometriosis, it is not a confirmatory method. A confirm diagnosis of endometriosis can be made only by laparoscopy which is an invasive technique.

As symptoms of your wife are suggestive of endometriosis and USG may also have been suggestive of the same, so your Gynaec had made this diagnosis.

Cycloreg tablets can be taken for 6-9 months for treatment of endometriosis and is safe. Its side efects are mild and are usually well tolerated by most of the patients.

About joint pains, I can say that it is not due to endometriosis. It can be either due to weak bones or some joint inflammation. I will suggest you to get few investigatins done incluing radiography of involved joints, CRP, RA factor and BMD test and get a examination by an Orthopaedic Surgeon.

As your wife is already taking Vit D3 and calcium supplements, these are good medicines at this stage. Further treatment can be plananed on the basis of test reports.

Hope this information is helpful and informative to you. If you have any further query you can directly reach out to me on the following URL: