Started pain in inner ear, noticed yellow and sticky discharge. Any suggestion?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi!
I have just undertaken a long flight. Ever since that journey, I have an ache in the inner ear. Initially after landing (for about 7 days) I also had a yellow, stickey discharge.
Presently the discharge has stopped, but the pain continues. It increases if the outer ear is touched (or presses) in anayway.

Kindly suggest.

XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get your ear checked and cleaned to examine the ear drum. What you have described is consistent with Barotrauma due to Audiogram) to document any hearing loss.

3. Get a Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) done to check middle ear pressures and Eustachian Tube function if the ear drum is intact. If there is a perforation, Tympanometry is difficult as no air seal is possible in the external ear canal. Does the Valsalva maneuver (closing the nose, mouth while blowing out the cheeks) cause bubbling sounds or pain in the ear? Normal middle ear secretions leak out of the perforation in the eardrum and into the ear canal. it is good to hear that the discharge has reduced or stopped.

4. Persistent pain implies an infection or inflammation. Also, if there is a mucoid or mucopurulent ear discharge, a trial of medication should be taken for three to four weeks. This would include an anti-allergic and steam inhalation. Decongestants are best avoided in your case as have hypertension. Ear drops such as Ciplox (ciprofloxacin) may be prescribed. All this should be under medical supervision.

5. Ideally the ear drum should heal in a few weeks time. You will need regular follow up with a local otologist (ENT Specialist).

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Started pain in inner ear, noticed yellow and sticky discharge. Any suggestion? 3 hours later
Thanks a lot dctor, for your prompt response.

I missed out telling you in my initial query that I am presently in US. Are the ear drops suggested by you, a brand which would be available in US?

Would I need to act differently (than what you have suggested), based on the fact that my current location is not India?

Thank You,

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Ear drops such as Ciplox (ciprofloxacin) will be available easily in the US. Ideally , you should let your doctor decide. If the ear is dry, there may not be any need for rear drops.

2. The principles of the management described above will not change and are irrespective of your location.

Regards.