Started pain in chest due to drinking drinks. Have swelling of thyroid and nodules. Is this thyroid related?

I'm having real trouble with drinking drinks and its causing pain through to my chest. I feel like I'm straining to Talk as my voice Is very strained and husky and I have pressure in my neck, I have seen endocrinologist who have said I have a swelling of my thyroid and nodules . But that they can't be causing my symptoms. If bend down to pick up something I go bright red, Plus I have facial flashing on one side of face with heavy pulsating. I am at my wits end and really don't know what this is . Could this be a Thyroid problem even though my thyroid function is apparently fine. My T4 level is apparently 1.23 My TSH is 10.9. I have pain When swallowing any kind of liquid and my throat is getting Worse and my speech poorer by the day . I had ultrasound and it showed nodules , none that could apparently cause any symptoms, plus enlarged thyroid .
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It is possible for you to have a thryroid enlargement, along with symptoms related to that, and still have a normal thyroid function test. This can be seen in a condition called auto-immune thyroiditis or Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Some people with Hashimoto's, especially those with a larger goiter (thyroid swelling), may feel discomfort or pressure in the neck area. Sometimes, the neck and/or throat is sore or tender. Less commonly, swallowing or even breathing can become difficult if a goiter is blocking the windpipe or esophagus.

However, the assessment if your thyroid swelling is large enough to compress any underlying structures and thereby result in all your symptoms can be made only with help of a clinical examination and ultrasound scan.

So, I would suggest that you discuss about this in detail with your doctor. If he still feels sure that that clinically and with the ultrasound result, your thyroid enlargement is minimal and cannot be associated with your symptoms, then you need other evaluations to establish the cause of your symptoms.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar