Started pain in chest and shortness of breath after lifting heavy weight. Feeling lump in throat. Could it be cancer?

hi, a few month ago lfted something to heavy that i really shouldnt of been lifting and the next day had a really bad pain on my right side and shortness of breath it slowly disapeared and was left with slight pains on both my side of the front of my cheast. It was always worst through the week when i was working,it has more or less dissapeared now. I also stopped smoking about a month ago and havnt felt well since. I have been spitting up alot of mucus clear,brown spots XXXXXXX and also frothy. Sometimes get the feeling of lump in my throat and have gotten a stiff sore neck also been feeling tired and had a lack of appitite dont feel like i want to eat but sill can eat just as normal. Also seem to have a very sweet smell comming from my skin when i sweat and sometimes i have milky/cloudy urine. Any idea of what it could be could it be cancer
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

In view of symptoms, particularly greenish mucus, possibility of lung infection seems more likely. Generally chronic lung infections present like this. Decreased appetite makes me suspicious about tubercular infection. I would suggest that a chest Xray and a sputum analysis be done for you. The treatment would essentially depend on the identified cause. If we’re thinking about tuberculosis, proper treatment needs to be started. Else, a course of oral antibiotics and you should be good.

Lump in throat can be due to airway constriction. Your symptoms are not suggestive of cancer. So I don’t think you need to worry on that front.
Sweat symptoms and cloudy urine are not likely to be related to chest complaints. But a urine analysis can help to rule out urinary tract infection.

I think you should go ahead with investigations, so that treatment can be planned accordingly.

Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Follow-up: Started pain in chest and shortness of breath after lifting heavy weight. Feeling lump in throat. Could it be cancer? 3 hours later
Hi,thanks for getting back to me,So you dont think that the chest pains could be anything to do with lung cancer,wasnt sure if cancer pains would dissapear?
I also have alot of thread veins on my legs have had them for a while,plus it seem that depending on the way i am sitting my legs and arms often goes to sleep is there anything that needs to be done with them or i can do?
I am rather thin im 6ft5 and only about 12 to sometimes 12 and a half stone it goes up and down really quick within a day or so has done for long time would there be something wrong? Would really like to put on about a stone is there any way to do it healthy been trying for years i am very active normaly.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 9 hours later

Thanks for follow up question.

1. Yes, I think these symptoms are not typical of cancer. So please relax.

2. Prominent leg veins make me think of varicose veins. These are dilated vein under the skin. And blood pooling due disturbed flow is generally the underlying cause for this. A clinical evaluation and colour Doppler study can prove helpful in that case.

3. To gain weight ideal and natural approach would be balanced diet and moderate exercises. You can approach a physical trainer and a good nutritionist to plan your diet and exercise. I think that should help once the current issue of infection is ruled out.

Hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you have any other inquiries.