Started pain and swelling underneath the nail. Should I see a doctor to have it examined?

I just started working at a kennel and wearing shoes that were irritating my toenail. It starting bruising a few days ago and is somewhat painful with swelling underneath the nail. I'm afraid the pain is going to increase with me on my feet all day and being surrounded by dirty kennel water that gets into my shoes. Should I see a doctor to have it examined? Here is a picture: WWW.WWWW.WW
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I understand how debilitating a bruised toe can be. I see that you have uploaded a pic but unfortunately I am not able to view it. Could you please upload it though our website?

For the pain I suggest Acelofenac, it is a potent analgesic ideal for this type of pain. Please ask your doctor for a prescription and also stop wearing any type of footwear covering the toe for a while. Avoid exposure of the toe nail to moisture, always keep it dry and clean. You can use topical antiseptic as well.

I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Started pain and swelling underneath the nail. Should I see a doctor to have it examined? 9 hours later
I attached some pictures in the reports attached to this query section. Please let me know if you cannot view them.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 59 minutes later

Thank you so much for attaching the photos

I have seen the photos, the great toe is slightly swollen,red and also there is discolouration.
I strongly recommend you to approach a general surgeon soon. You might require a course of antibiotics like amox with clavulanic acid for 5 days. The analgesic I had recommended earlier and also tips on how to manage the wound stays good.

I hope you get well soon