Started ortho tri cyclen lo after taking abortion pill. HPT positive after sex. What to do?

I had an abortion by the abortion pill on 11/21/12 and bleed for that day and then 5 days after, I started birth control ortho tri cyclen lo on the 25th of November. I took my seventh pill on the morning of December 1 and had unprotected sex that night. I used a sponge but that broke and then I took Plan B on Monday December 3rd. I took a pregnancy test this morning and it is still positive. What should I do?
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Several things:
1. The abortion pills, or medical abortion is not 100% effective
2. HCG levels can take weeks to get down to zero (which confuses the situation)
3. PlanB is very effective, but also not 100%

I am guessing that the abortion pill worked, and that it is taking a long time for the HCG levels (pregnancy hormone) to get to zero. BUT, I would not make this assumption. You need to schedule a visit with a doctor and get a blood HCG level drawn AND an ultrasound. One setting in which the pill won't work is in the setting of an ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy in your tube). If you have already had an ultrasound, this has largely been ruled out, but if you have not had an ultrasound, then this is now indicated.

I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions!
Follow-up: Started ortho tri cyclen lo after taking abortion pill. HPT positive after sex. What to do? 12 minutes later
I did have an ultrasound 2 weeks after the abortion and the doctor confirmed that it was effective. I have had some bleeding when I urinate but not much not enough to say it was spotting.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 days later

I apologize for the delay.

If the success was proved by an ultrasound, then there is no doubt about it. Then perhaps one of these two can explain the positive results:
1. Rarely on very few occasions hCG levels take a few weeks to reach zero. Those residual hCG in your urine may be causing the positive test.
2. As the effectiveness of birth control pills is doubtful during the first month and failure of emergency contraceptive pills are known, it is possible that you may have conceived again.

Getting the test repeated; checking your blood hCG levels or even repeating the ultrasound examination are the options that I suggest to you. We should have clear answers from these tests.

Hope that helps...

Good Luck!!